4/27/2005

GameBoy Color Mod Part 1 - The Painting

Right now I'm working on a GameBoy Color (GBC) mod I've thought about for some time now. Since it's not finished I'm not going to state what it is (and those of you who do know, please refrain from commenting on what the final product will be). This entry will be the beginning of the log of the mod.


First, I had to take off the casing of the GBC to get to the insides. It wasn't hard to get past the three-side-headed screws that Nintendo is infamous for. I took an eyeglasses flathead screw driver and, despite some bending of the flathead, unscrewed the casing off.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I apologize for the fuzziness of most of my pictures. My camera isn't all that great and I tried to get as close as I could. I'll describe the location of certain objects I had to bypass in order to gut this thing.

Now, the first obstacles I saw were the three screws holding down the main board of the GBC. Luckily, these screws are Philips head. Apparently Nintendo thought they were out of the clear of modders when the put those ingenious three-headed screws on the outside. In case you can't find them in the picture, all three are located in in the white portion of the GBC. One is located almost directly in the center of the white portion (the copper-colored dot) and the other two are located above and below it. Those are the only screws I encountered on the main board. The other obstacle was the connector that went from the main board to the LCD screen on the front of the GBC (look on the right side of the picture. Do you see the large brown object with a white stripe running parallel to it? That's it). This wasn't all that tricky, either, for there are two plastic pins on each side of the white foundation that holds the connector to the main board. I simply slid the pins out until they locked in place (I couldn't pull them all the way out, but then again they probably weren't designed to). I then gave a slight tug on the brown connector and it popped right out. Not so hard, right? With that out of the way I stored the main board of the GBC in an anti-static bag to protect it until I'm done with the outer casing. I also gathered the loose items that were under the main board (D-pad, A, B, Start, and Select buttons) and put those in a safe place as well.

Now that that problem was out of the way, a new one followed. The LCD screen that the connector was attached to was adhered to the front GBC case itself. I searched on the net for a way to take off the LCD screen and possibly the clear panel of platic in front of it, but after an hour or so of searching I gave up and decided to do it my own way. I grabbed a roll of electrical tape and taped everything that was clear, smooth, and shiny. I didn't want any paint to get onto the screen now did I? Since the screen was curved in the corners and on the bottom edge and I had tape that only traveled in strait lines, I had to improvise by cutting specific shapes for the corners and bottom. I also had to use the end of a flathead screw driver to push the tape down on the edges to get into the grooves in between the plastic casing and the clear screen. That took a good 30 minutes or so, but I'm happy with the result:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


I was almost ready for painting when I noticed a lone piece of metal in the battery compartment of the GBC. It was to complete the circuit between the two AA batteries, and with some prying of a handy-dandy safety pin I was able to get it out.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Now I was ready. Plastic is a tricky thing to paint on, and not any regular old paint will do (especially when trying to spraypaint it). I primed the GBC with a can of American Tradition Plastic Primer (I bought my can at Lowe's, but you can buy it at any home-improvement or paint store). After allowing it to dry for about an hour (I placed the case pieces under a fan), I used chrome spraypaint to finish it off. I don't know if I'll do a second coat or not. We'll see.

Product so far:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Current status: Drying.

To be continued...

9 Comments:

Blogger freenanoipod said...

Hey!! Just surfing some sites and found this place. Cool!! I have a ipod nano site with lots of infomation regarding the ipod nano Drop by anytime

4:50 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free Ipod Nano site/blog. It pretty much covers free ipod msnbc.msn.com site related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

2:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a *eBay misspelled auction search site/blog. It pretty much covers misspelled auction info and can really save a bundle using thisf.


Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.getipodsforfree.com has this cool thing where if you just sign up and do an offer, you can get a free ipod

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought this was pretty cool... lol at all the ads... if u wanted it silver so much y not just get a silver gameboy pocket? hahaha

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really want a green gbc and you did this to one.

i am painting one of mine black and maybe underclocking it for deep bass

11:40 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

how exactly did you bend your Flathead? i'm working on a skinmod for a gameboycolor at the moment.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

i found out an easier way, use a 2.0 mm flathead, you don't have to bend it, it fits in between two of the three prongs perfectly.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home